Next time you want to mix up your grilling, try Thai grilled chicken with sweet chili sauce. Smoky, sweet and spicy, it’s a south-east asian flavour explosion. Seriously. Try it.
I’m always looking for better ways to grill chicken. Different ways. Anything to avoid serving grilled chicken with BBQ sauce. Thai grilled chicken fits the bill.
I’m not saying grilled chicken with BBQ sauce is bad. It’s a staple. It’s easy. The fact that every supermarket sells 6200 types of BBQ sauce tells me it’s popular.
It also tells me everyone is doing it. Run of the mill. Boring even. Burn a little chicken. Hide it with some Bull’s Eye BBQ sauce. Sound familiar?
Thai grilled chicken is about big flavours
Doesn’t have to be like that. Thai grilled chicken isn’t boring or run of the mill. It is a double layer of big flavours. A good soak in a blend of red thai curry paste, garlic and ginger makes sure of that.
Add the kiss of smoke and you have something special. Grill marks. Crispy skin. Summer grilling heaven.
Thai Grilled Chili Garlic Chicken
- 1/2- pound chicken pieces skin on
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil for brushing grill
For the Marinade:
- 1 fresh red chili minced OR cayenne pepper or crushed chili flakes
- 3 to 4 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Gather the ingredients.
- Pat chicken dry and set in a medium-size bowl.
- Stir together all marinade ingredients and pour over chicken, being sure to cover all surfaces. Set aside to marinate at least 30 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- Heat up grill and brush with vegetable oil. Grill chicken, brushing with leftover marinade after the first turning. Also, sprinkle with a little more onion powder. Discard any remaining marinade. Grill until fully opaque in the center of each piece.
- Serve with this Thai jasmine rice or salad for the ultimate summer grilling dish. See below recipe for a simple Thai condiment you can serve on the side with this chicken. Enjoy!