This Thai Mango Chicken Stir Fry recipe is a delicious mix of chicken, mango, cashews, bell pepper, scallions, onion, garlic and Thai chili paste that will have you wanting more.
Thai Mango Chicken Stir Fry (sometimes called Thai Chicken with Mangoes) is my go-to Thai food order!
Thai Mango Chicken
For the Mango Sauce
- 2 fresh ripe mangos fruit scooped out or substitute 2 cups frozen or canned mango
- 1 red chili de-seeded and diced, or 1 teaspoon chili sauce or 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed chili
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 thumb-size piece galangal or ginger sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 makrut lime leaves snipped into slivers with scissors (discard stem and central vein, or zest of 1 lime)
For the Chicken
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 chicken breasts cut into 2-inch-long pieces—chicken thighs work too
- 1/4 cup oil for pan-frying
- 1 red bell pepper or 1 sweet red pepper
- 1/2 to 1 mango cut into chunks
- 3 to 4 tablespoons coconut milk or water
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh coriander
- Gather the ingredients.
- Place 2 ripe mango chunks, red chili, rice vinegar, soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, galangal, garlic, turmeric, and makrut lime leaves in a food processor or blender. Process well, until more or less smooth.
- Taste the sauce. The goal is to reach a balance of sweet, sour, spicy, and salty. Add more sugar if you find the sauce too sour (this will depend on the sweetness of your mangoes). If not spicy enough, add more chili. If not salty/flavorful enough, add more fish sauce. If too salty or too sweet, add more lime juice. Set aside.
Make the Chicken and Assemble
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Add the chicken pieces and turn or gently stir them to coat.
- Heat a wok or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil, then begin frying the chicken pieces, 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until light golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove chicken from pan and set on a paper towel.
- Wash out the wok/frying pan or use another (clean) one. Set over medium-high heat and add the mango sauce plus red bell pepper. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce to a simmer (medium to low heat).
- If sauce becomes too thick, add 3 to 4 tablespoons coconut milk or water. Simmer 3 to 4 minutes, or until the pepper has softened slightly but still retains some crispness.
- Add the fried chicken pieces, gently stirring them into the sauce. If desired, add chunks of mango (fruit of 1/2 to 1 ripe mango). Simmer briefly, just until everything is hot.
- Do a final taste test for salt, tasting the sauce together with the chicken. Add a little more fish sauce or chili if desired.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve with plenty of Thai jasmine-scented rice. For an extra special treat, use easy coconut rice.