Thai mango sticky rice, made with rice, mango and a delicious coconut sauce. It’s sweet, creamy and a scrumptious dessert. Only 7 ingredients needed!
I think this is probably the most popular dessert here in Thailand and is made with 3 of my all-time favorite ingredients: rice, coconut and mango. It reminds me to arroz con leche, a Spanish rice pudding I used to eat a lot when I was a child.
The classic recipe is made with glutinous rice and mung bean seeds, but if you can’t find them don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Just use any type of rice you have on hand (starchy rice varieties work best) and sesame seeds or any seeds you like.
Thai Mango Sticky Rice
- 1 cup Thai sweet rice also called sticky rice or glutinous rice, available at Asian food stores
- 1 1/2 cups water divided
- 4 to 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can coconut milk good-quality, not “lite”
- 1 to 2 ripe mangos
- Gather the ingredients.
- Soak rice in 1 cup water for 20 to 30 minutes. Do not drain the rice.
- Add 1/2 cup more water, plus 1/2 can coconut milk, salt, and 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Stir well.
- Bring to a gentle boil, then partially cover with a lid (leaving some room for steam to escape). Reduce heat to medium-low, or just until you get a gentle simmer.
- Simmer 20 to 30 minutes, or until coconut water has been absorbed by the rice. Turn off the heat, but leave the pot on the burner with the lid on tight. Allow it to sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- To make the sauce, warm (do not boil) the rest of the can of coconut milk over medium-low heat (5 minutes). Add 3 tablespoons brown sugar, stirring to dissolve.
- Taste-test sauce for sweetness, adding more sugar if desired. (Note that it will taste less sweet when added to the rice.)
- Prepare mango by cutting it open and slicing into bite-size pieces (see how to cut a mango).
- Scoop some warm rice into each serving bowl, then drizzle lots of the sweet coconut sauce over. It should look like an English pudding with custard sauce, with the rice swimming in sauce.
- Arrange mango slices on the rice and drizzle over more sauce.